Wednesday 1 April 2009

Abi

On Monday, I just parked my car up at the car park opposite the school, and so I was dawdling up the pavement when I saw someone in this hideous green dress talking on the phone. But as I got closer, I realised it was a guy.

Alright, I thought. Not my cup of tea, but whatever floats his boat. These days it is considered more and more acceptable to see people cross-dressing. Even some famous people so it, mostly for telly, but apparently they do it anyway, like Eddie Izzard, for example.

And then, as I stood next to the traffic lights to cross the road, there were more people in drag on the other side. I wasn’t sure what to think. Was it one of those meetings? Was it Dress Like A Woman Day? Was it for a joke? Are they starting their party early? And the closer I got to school, the more I saw people dressed up in clothes of the opposite gender. And they all seem to have emerged from the school gate, too. I thought to myself, “oh no… what have I missed?”

It turns out that this week is the last week of school for the students in Year 13. They are doing their Abitur exams, which are equivalent to A Levels. And normally, they dress up for school, with a different theme each day, like, Monday was cross-dressing, yesterday was astronauts, robots, metally things with a futuristic space age feel to them… one was dressed up as an astronaut, complete with foil covered box on the back and a homemade round helmet. And today apparently is Nostalgic Childhood Day. The students are all dressed up as their favourite cartoon character or whatever they liked when younger. I saw two dressed as Asterix and Obelix, which was quite impressive. And as I’m writing this, they did another Conga, and some of the costumes are good… like the Simpsons; Mario and Luigi; the Smurf and those ducks who are nephews of Donald… I think.

And tomorrow, or Friday, I can’t remember which, but it’s a 70s and 80s theme. So I imagine afros, flares, ridiculous Elton John sunglasses, glittery white jackets, maybe a leather jacket or two, maybe with the frilly bits on the sleeves. I wouldn’t be surprised if I saw Elvis again. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be here to see it.

A couple of them even parked their cars in the courtyard, opened the boots and doors and just blasted music out. God knows what it was they were playing, but it was hellish loud. They even did the Conga via the teachers’ lounge, too… with the first couple wearing masks, which were simply paper masks with the photo of the headmaster on them.

However, the week should be fun for them. I’m not sure when the exams are exactly, but good luck to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment