Wednesday 28 January 2009

Religious Studies

Do you often come across some people who are just totally random, or just plain weird??

Just as an example, the other day I was in a service station in Germany, reading some maps, as you do. Then this guy came up and started to read the travel magazines next to me. I didn’t take much notice of him, until he just came out with the question:

“Are you evangelical?”

I thought to myself… “erm, I know my German isn’t perfect and, but did he just ask me that? Or am I on a completely different wavelength?”

I replied. I said, “Are you talking about religion?” He noticed that I wasn’t German (probably due to a strong Welsh accent that I may have), and then started to speak English to me. So, he went on about religion, Christianity mostly, different types of Christianity, Catholicism, Protestantism and so on…

He asked me what I believed in. I said that I don’t believe in a God, but I reckon Jesus existed, but all the stories may be a bit exaggerated. I said something about reincarnation. He seemed to have taken an interest in this, and went on and on about it, and how he believed that you have to search for God. And how I should search for God. Should I search for God? Or just go about my life as it is, and wait until he finds me… probably in a pub. For his efforts, I may buy him a pint. I’d say he’s an ale drinker, personally.

However, Father Ted didn’t think in reincarnation. He says there’s a Heaven, or something like that. But I don’t know if he noticed my lack of interest in this conversation, or he realised that Songs of Praises was about to start soon, but whatever reason, the decision was a saviour for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment