Monday 16 February 2009

Mornington Crescent

I have recently made a re-appearance at a forum site I used to frequent. It was nice to be back and see everyone was still there… even though some have departed and some new ones have entered the scene. There have also been changes in the layout of the site, which took a bit to get used to.

Anyway, on the forum, I came across this thread titled ‘Mornington Crescent’. Now, at first, I didn’t look at it, and when I did… I was like… ¿qué?

I was sure I’ve missed something out when I read on. So I looked back, and no… I couldn’t have missed anything. But the whole thing didn’t make sense.

Basically, all that people listed were London Underground stations. It was as if they were playing a game, a game that I have never come across, yet it seemed so widely known. It seemed complex, as people were saying these stations in a seemingly random order and quoting them with these obscure rules and exceptions. And the objective is to go from the starting station (as stated by the first turn by a player), and try to get to Mornington Crescent station first and stopping others from doing so.

It turns out, that the game has no rules. Or they did, but they’re not used anymore. It became popular through a radio comedy show, as the panellists played the game on air. However, it wasn’t the type of strategy game like people are used to… I believe they really do list random London Underground stations, making up these different variations of rules, just so to confuse the audience.

However, I’m yet to get my head around this. Apparently there are a lot of different variations of ‘rules’ online, which I’ve come across, but then, those have just been made up, and people just play other random rules, most probably their own. There is just nothing consistent.
Weird. Just plain weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment