Thursday 20 November 2008

Annoying things that annoy me

I’m afraid to say that this week hasn’t been the best. It’s been one of those weeks that you’re waiting forever for it to be over and done with… and it seems like a lifetime.

This week also has been full of things that happened, and those things are the most annoying things to me. They’re not big things. It’s those really small, inconvenient, unnecessary, annoying things that just get on my nerves. Life would be much simpler without them.

To give you some examples of those things, they are…

Going for that much needed first-of-the-day cup of tea, only to find the kettle at school has a post-it stuck on it, saying it’s broken with a reassuring skull and crossbones drawn on it.

Walking a couple of minutes down the road (and also waiting ages for that Ampelmännchen to turn green when there isn’t even any traffic) to go to a bakery, only to find it closed at one o’clock for two hours. Why two hours? Who spends two hours eating their dinner at such a time? And it was especially annoying as it was just after I discovered that the kettle was potentially lethal. So I had to go without tea and bread and cakes.

Driving around a big car park only to find it’s full, only to find one space. But nobody can park in that space because some idiot of a driver couldn’t park right and consequently took up the two places. And it wasn’t as if this car was big. It was one of those crappy Toyota Yaris things. I was tempted to squeeze in there just to annoy him/her/it. There was just enough room to do it, too. I should have done. Or, if I had a strong enough vehicle to do it, I’d just shove it out of the way. But I didn’t want to damage my car because of some stupid idiocy of someone who deserves a couple of slaps. And a few tips on how to park right.

Another similar thing about parking, I was at the lights around the corner from the post office, and I needed to get some Luftpost stamps. And there was a good space outside, enough for two cars. It was one of those lay-by parking spaces at the side of the road. So I thought it was a good find. However, as I waited at the lights, a car parked there, but it was alright. There was still enough room. But noo… the dull woman who was driving parked her nice silver BMW, which took up these two spaces. Did she think she was driving a bus? How could she not see there was enough space for another?? It made me want to shunt that car forwards so I could also park there. But again, why put damage to my humble VW Golf? But why complain about that? We all know people who drive such cars own the road and do whatever they want.

But did I need to bother about finding a place to park outside the post office? No. They seem to close before half past four.

Next day, I went back and I found a place down the road to park. But as I was reversing out, there was this old woman crossing the road behind me, so I had to stop. And also there was this guy and a kid on a bike who decided to cross the road behind me. Why do that when it’s blatantly obvious that I was reversing. The moving car and the two white lights at the back of my car may give it away. And what was even more annoying about it… on the other side of my car was a zebra crossing. Why not use that? The council doesn’t put those things down just for fun. Sometimes I feel like beeping my horn really loud just to startle them. And maybe move back a li’l bit to put some sense into their thick skulls.

Another thing that people can’t grasp is the use of indicators. Especially when changing lanes on the Autobahn. But what gets me most is when waiting on a junction, or at a roundabout. And then a car comes along, and I wait for them to pass. But they don’t pass. They turn down that junction I’m waiting at. And because they didn’t indicate, I didn’t go and I’m still waiting for that huge line of traffic to pass that was behind that car whose driver thought the indicators were only there just for decoration.

What has been annoying me all week was the incompatibility between different computers. I’ve made a poster on Microsoft Publisher on my laptop. And the plan was to put it on the school computer and print a few copies out. But could I? Of course not. The computers at school don’t have Publisher, so I was unable to transfer it onto them. And when I tried to move it onto another program, it couldn’t decode properly. Can’t technology be faultless for once? If these technicians and scientists and such could create a spacecraft to go as far into space, or if they could create the technology to find the complete structure of the DNA double helix, I’m sure they could create something that could make all these programs compatible with each other. Even if that does mean to create just one mega-program with all of the features in one. I’m sure that’ll be more useful to everyone instead of them researching stuff like how to make the perfect pen, or how many times should someone stir milk in a cup of tea, or how many holes does it take to fill the Albert Hall.

And another thing I don’t get is how come I wake up exactly as my lesson start? Even though I did go to bed early, I somehow wasn’t disturbed by the alarms on my phone, and I got up, looked at my clock. And thought… bugger. I really should invest in a much better alarm clock. Phone clocks aren’t such good alarms. They never were.

And this week, I’ve had the joys of experiencing all those things. Maybe tomorrow will bring more experiences that will just annoy me even more. But I hope that next week will prove better.

2 comments:

  1. oh man. i am sor you had such a shit week. *hugs* i really felt for you when you got to the whole no tea bit. that's just ugly. at least your school has (had?) a kettle though. mine- not so much :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for the nice comment! However, my week got worse, as you may read on the most recent post.

    But 'tis no good not having a kettle at school... why not get one? Or get a Thermos flask or something??

    ReplyDelete