Wednesday 12 November 2008

It's a Long Way To Recklinghausen

Monday, 3 November 2008, and Tuesday, 4 November 2008.

Now for the epic adventures back to Recklinghausen.

A lot of people know that I really don’t like public transport. I much prefer to go by my li’l ol’ car. I prefer my car, because it’s more convenient than the bus and train. I can go wherever and whenever I want, and it isn’t late! It doesn’t smell as bad, either.

But, for once, the Deutsche Bahn, instead of being late and expensive and confusing, was in the spotlight. It had to do. I depended on it more than ever. And I never thought I’d say that!

So, with my timetable and ticket, I was ready to go. And I knew it was going to be a boring journey. My phone and camera batteries died. I had nothing to read or write with. But until Koblenz, I had the company of Laura and Emma, and we amused ourselves by reading out newspaper articles and did vocabulary tests. Because everyone knows, we’re too chic for school!

After Koblenz, the journey went a bit boring. I got to Köln, waited for five minutes. Got on a train to Essen. Got to Essen. This time, there was about a fifty-minute wait. And being midnight, nothing was open at the station (which seemed like a building site, anyway).

I was also freezing cold, and instead of standing at an empty and dark platform just waiting for a dose of frostbite to abuse my cold (I had been ill the whole time!), I decided to in search for a watering hole in the centre. So, I eventually found a bar that was open. So, I occupied myself with a glass of Pils.

And next door, there was this red carpet and lights and stuff. A few old 1940s cars were parked outside and a lot of security and people with cameras and stuff. It looked like a film premier or something, and then a big group of people came and entered the building, but they were all dressed in 1940s style fashion. It was a bit random. But anything out of the ordinary was welcome to an otherwise boring night.

The time came to get the train, which had already arrived and was waiting. So I may not have had to go to the pub after all! But that’s a ridiculous idea.

So I got on the train and I was off again. This time to Recklinghausen. I sat on these nice and comfy seats, which were through this glass door, and I was there for quite a while. There was nobody else on the train. I had the carriage to myself (apart from an empty beer bottle occupying the seat opposite)… but it was peaceful for once. I was glad that I was almost home!

However, when the train conductor checked my ticket, he pointed out that I was in first class seats and that I should move. So I did. I ended up on wooden-like seats. But even though I was a proud owner of a 94 Euro second-class ticket, and there was nobody else on the train, was it worth it to do that? He did seem a bit weird, though. Bless. But I found it a bit pointless moving me from one end of an empty carriage to the other end. And for the rest of the journey, he sat next to the first-class cabin door, as if I’d have gone back in there!

The train eventually arrived back in Recklinghausen! I swiftly left the empty train and the pedantic conductor to play with his clipboard. And after three and a half hours of Deutsche Bahning, I was so glad to be back. But in twelve hours time, I’ll have to make the same journey back…

No comments:

Post a Comment