Wednesday 12 November 2008

Trains, Changes and Automobiles

Tuesday, 4 November 2008.

School is finally over, and therefore time to hastily make my way to the train station in time for my train back down Süd to Bingen. The train journey was over three hours long, I left at half past two, and had to be at the car park before seven that evening, otherwise, my car would be once again locked up.

But just like the night before, the train journey was rather boring. But I did have my phone and camera this time! So it wasn’t all so bad. I also had a writing book with me, in which I wrote all this to occupy myself, and in case I forgot what went on!

So… got on the train at the station in Recklinghausen and happened to site behind some drunk teenagers who made quite a bit of noise… vulgar and otherwise. In the end, this Turkish guy had a right go at them for saying something about the Turks. Was interesting. But they shut up after that… or went quieter, at least.

This train journey would be better that the one from the last night, this time, it was daylight, it was warmer, I had stuff to pass the time, and there wasn’t any long waits, and each platform I needed was always next to the one I got off. Cushty! And the changes were at the same places as before, Essen, Köln and Koblenz.


The sign for Essen station. I was getting closer...

And I got to Bingen Hauptbahnhof at six o’clock, and quickly made my way to the car park to retrieve my car. But I had trouble getting out once I got there. I didn’t know where I could play for the parking. I looked for signs everywhere and eventually found the machine behind a door signed ‘Notausgang’… even though it was also the door to the shopping centre above. And who puts access to the machine and store behind a door, which is only signed as the emergency exit?

This car park was not making any good impression on me.

So, at the machine, I put in my card. 24 Euros parking fee. I’d have preferred to play Monopoly’s free parking…

And where do I put in the notes? There’s a coin slot, but I have not got any coins adding to 24 Euros. And there was another slot, wasn’t signed for notes, and it looked a bit too wide for them. So I went upstairs to the service centre in the middle of the store and asked this guy about it. He seemed to be happy to speak in English, even though he couldn’t. My German was better, but he didn’t want to speak it. Idiot.

So he explained that the wide slot is for notes, after all. So I went back downstairs and started to pay. And it took me a while to get to the payment bit… as there were only two buttons, and one of them was to cancel. And as I was paying, the guy just appeared in the lift and asked it I was alright… I wish I could have told him this whole story. He seemed to be fond of the word ‘bye’, too…

Mein PKW!


So… I eventually got out of that place (I even managed to use the barrier machine on the other side of the car)! I just wanted to go home… and so I made my way onto the Autobahn, and after a couple of hours driving, I was back in Recklinghausen once more with my car!



I bet John McCain was having a better day in all…

No comments:

Post a Comment