Tuesday 18 November 2008

Musique-al Instruments

Lately, I’ve had the urge to play the piano. I’m not sure why… maybe it’s because of some songs I’ve listened to there’s been some good piano playing.

Also, I’ve listened to all three movements of Beethoven’s Piano Sonata Number 14, in C-Sharp Minor. (Opus 27, Number 2, to be precise!). It’s also known as Quasi una Fantasia or Moonlight Sonata. The three movements are all popular and should be familiar to all, but the fact they’re all part of the same sonata is less widely-known.

And, I was watching a famous pianist Daniel Barenboim playing it all. And it was just fantastic. I think Moonlight Sonata is my favourite piece of music, along with Beethoven’s Fifth and Ninth symphonies (especially the Second Movement of the Ninth, which is on the 15:09 minute on the first clip labelled Ninth Symphony below). They are all just something else! I do recommend you listen to them… even if you’re not into that kind of music, you’ll think they’re amazing.
There are many others, too. What’s even more extraordinary about them, Beethoven wrote them while he was going deaf, too! It’s incredible… really is. It will always be better than that kind of rap 'music' and all that.

However, it made me feel even more to play the piano again. I started to learn about ten years ago, but then after a couple of years, I stopped. I don’t know why… maybe I didn’t have time. But for whatever reason, I regret I did it.

I don’t think it’s too late to start learning again. Thing is, I’m in Germany, and I don’t have a piano. I could start looking whether there are lessons about… maybe at my school. But I may wait until I get back home. But it’s a while to go, yet!

But, I do have a harmonica, which I’m learning. I’ve had a couple for ages, but only recently I’ve started to get into it. Maybe wanting to play the piano has brought it on!

But harmonicas are more convenient than pianos. I don’t have to lug a harmonica up the stairs and be careful not to scratch or damage it. And if I’m stuck in a traffic jam, I won’t be able to get my piano out of the glove compartment and start playing away!

So, hopefully my harmonica skills will improve. May be a bit harder as I’m teaching myself from a book, and maybe the Internet now and then. But time will come.

But for now… I do recommend you listen to the three movements of Moonlight Sonata and also the fifth and ninth symphonies. They may be a bit long… but they’re really good!

I hope I’ve provided you with some entertainment, at least!

I’m going back to my harmonica now. Toodles!
Moonlight Sonata, First Movement
Moonlight Sonata, Second Movement
Moonlight Sonata, Third Movement
Fifth Symphony, First and Second Movements
Fifth Symphony, Third and Fourth Movements
Ninth Symphony, Part I
Ninth Symphony, Part II

No comments:

Post a Comment