Monday 24 November 2008

It Ain't Half Cold, Mam!

I don’t think this cold will be getting warmer. It’s cold enough to kill a car battery off… and it’s been cold for longer than that. 

I don’t remember things being so cold back home. These days, I have to wear a t-shirt, a jumper, a hoody and a thick jacket (one of those bomber-style jackets with sheepskin and leather and stuff). Then I’m warm. Apart from my legs. I can’t exactly fit into 4 layers of trousers. I’d be walking around as if I have two peg-legs… which would not be too good. Especially if I slip on ice, I’d also have trouble getting up. I guess it may be amusing to the passing public. But then, who wouldn’t find it funny when someone dressed in a suitcase worth of clothing just fell on the pavement?

 

I may actually start wearing my scarf I bought in some outdoor shop in Abergavenny about three years ago. I never got round to using it, as it hasn’t been that cold enough. Now I’m having second thoughts. And my gloves may also come into good use. But a hat? I don’t wear hats in public, nor hoods. Hoods restrict my already bad view. 

And I don’t really have hats for cold weather. I don’t like to cover my ears. I know it’s nice when they’re warm, but I don’t like things blocking or covering them. Although, I did wear one of those old Soviet fluffy hats at Dan’s over the weekend. It even had a Soviet hammer and sickle badge on it. It was good. I may invest in one of those. But the only hat I have here is one of those German (maybe Bavarian/Alpine) style hats with the feathers. I got it from Austria last year, and I thought I’d bring it out with me. But I’m not sure if it would be effective… though if it’s a traditional bit of clothing in the Alpine regions, then it may well work!

Also, it’s so cold that I needed a lighter to melt away the ice covering the keyhole of my car door. And when I did that, I had to heat up the key so it could get in the keyhole itself. And when I eventually got in my car, I had to scrape ice from the inside of the windscreen. Inside? How does that happen? Never have I had to get the ice scraper out for the inside of my PKW. And this was at half past nine at night. So early, yet so freezingly bloody cold. I wonder whether my car will be an ice block in the morning…

But after a trip around town to keep the car warm and make sure the battery was alright, I’m now in my nice and warm room. Though I guess I’d have to get up a bit earlier than normal tomorrow to thaw my car into shape! Something everyone looks forward to!

6 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHA. 2 words man: Block. Heater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm... I've been thinking. However, how much would these things cost? And where could I get one? And how would I shove it in my car??

    Got to put these things into consideration, see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that Austrian hat well! Very fetching Mr Jones! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah... it's still in the same shape/state as it was! I've looked after it well!

    Though I'm trying to find a badge from this area to pin onto it!

    And yes... 'tis very fetching, indeed! I sometimes see old men walking around wearing them. I may join them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. He he he he, maybe you should not come visit Canada in Winter. And the hat you are looking for is called a toque. They are great for winter. Take my word on it, I do come from land of winter. He he he you are funny! And you should also try some long john's they are good too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure I'll survive there... I'll have to bring over some warmer clothes and get myself a toque! But I'm not sure about the long Johns... they seem to tight on my skin and I feel the need to breathe!

    But me? Funny? Why, thankyou... I do try to entertain! hehe

    ReplyDelete